Architecture education started in 1871 in Hungary, at Royal Joseph University, Department of Architecture and Engineering.
First lecturers were the prominent artchitects of that age, for instance Imre Steindl (designer of Hungarian Parliament), Alajos Hauszmann (designer of new wings of Castle of Buda and buildings of BME) and Frigyes Schulek (master of Mathias curch and Fisherman’s Bastion).
Almost every significant Hungarian architect graduated in our Faculty and they were welcomed and employed in Europe, even in countries beyond the seas.
Architectural engineering diploma of BME was the first to be accepted by European Union from all Hungarian degrees and our certificate is admitted all over the world.
Today, our professors’ works are determinant in the contemporary Hungarian architecture, and many excellent architects take part in our education as external lecturer as well.